Mommy’s Milk Human Milk Research Biorepository is building the first-ever breast milk bank for research in the nation! The staff at UC San Diego Center for Better Beginnings is organizing the collection of and safe storage of breast milk samples, and is asking for your generous support. You can donate two ounces of breast milk, and we’ll keep it safe for a role in future research projects.
Researchers want to learn more about human breast milk and how it influences health and development. Moms want to know how to best feed their babies and keep them healthy. Together, we can achieve this goal.
You are eligible to participate if you are:
- 18+ years of age
- Producing an excess of milk (more than your baby needs)
What will I be asked to do?
- Sign a study consent form
- Provide two ounces (2 oz.) of breast milk using our hospital-grade breast pump and sterile collection kit
- Complete one interview that will collect information about demographics (contact information, ethnicity, race, education, employment, etc.), your family medical history, your personal medical history, and any medications or substances you may have used in the last 7 days. Examples include vitamins, birth control, caffeine, alcohol, smoking, prescription medications, and over the counter medications.
- Complete an online questionnaire about your diet
- Fill out 3 online questionnaires about your mood
- Submit 3 sets of questionnaires about your child’s development
Are there optional study steps I can take to further the research?
- We’ll ask you to release medical records for you and your child so that we can look at your health and your child’s health in comparison to your breast milk sample
- We may contact you with information about other research studies no more than twice a year
- We’ll keep in contact you once a year to update your contact information
I would like to participate! How can I?
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 858.246.1713 to set up a donation. We will walk you through the process, and the options to come in-person or participate by mail.
In-person participation (if you live near San Diego):
- Visit our office located at 7910 Frost Street, Suite 370, San Diego, CA 92123. Your parking will be validated.
By mail collection (if you live outside the San Diego area):
- We will set up a telephone interview and then mail a milk collection kit to you with instructions on use. You will return the milk collection in a sterile, postage-paid container.